Posted in

Islamic school students’ learning fully resumed in Sumatra: Minister

Jakarta (ANTARA) – Religious Affairs Minister Nasaruddin Umar stated that learning activities for madrasah (Islamic school) students in the disaster-affected provinces of Sumatra have fully resumed.”Our commitment is clear: education must not stop because of disasters. Based on data as of February 11, 2026, we can confirm that 100 percent of madrasah students have continued their learning,” he said in a coordination meeting in Jakarta on Wednesday.He further said that around 90.5 percent of madrasah students have returned to normal classes at their schools, while the rest are learning through shift systems, in emergency tents, or by sharing facilities.According to him, there has been significant progress in the restoration of educational facilities and places of worship following the devastating floods and landslides. Out of 773 affected madrasahs, 651 units, or 84 percent, are back in operation.Similar progress was reported in the Islamic boarding schools (pesantrens), with 883 schools out of 1,173 affected institutions, or 75 percent, having resumed learning activities.He added that 97 percent, or 1,553 out of 1,593 affected places of worship, are now operational again.The minister attributed the recovery's success to the hard work of Religious Affairs Ministry volunteer teams on the ground.These teams carried out responsive disaster management efforts, ranging from the construction of emergency classrooms to immediate assistance for places of worship.To accelerate the overall reconstruction, the ministry has proposed a budget of Rp702.98 billion (approximately US$41.6 million) through a Special Presidential Directive output scheme.The budget is planned for the rehabilitation of the remaining madrasahs, pesantrens, and places of worship that sustained moderate to severe damage, as well as the relocation of facilities in disaster-prone areas.”We want to ensure that every rupiah allocated through a presidential directive truly reaches the community,” Umar remarked.Three provinces of Sumatra: Aceh, North Sumatra, and West Sumatra, were previously hit by heavy rainfall-triggered floods and landslides in late November 2025.According to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) records, as of February 18, the disasters claimed 1,206 lives, while 138 residents remain missing.